This win further enhances New Zealand’s NRR and propels them back to the top of the table. As the Sri Lankan batters failed to apply themselves during the powerplay, the experienced duo of Southee and Boult bowled intelligently to turn the tide. At one point, Sri Lanka was 5/3 after losing their top three within two overs.
The situation did not improve much afterward, as Asalanka was bowled cheaply a few overs later. When Rajapaksa tried to chip Lockie Ferguson over midfield, he threw away an opportunity to threaten the game. As Sri Lanka suffered another crushing defeat, spinners Sodhi and Santner contributed a couple of wickets each. As a result of this loss, their net run rate has taken another hit.
Kane Williamson – We bat first. Having played here once before, we like the surface. It’s good to be back after a long time. This tournament presents us with a variety of oppositions under varying conditions. Daryl Mitchell replaces Mark Chapman.
Dasun Shanaka – The team would also have batted first, but chasing well provided no disappointment. There will be runs to be scored by the batting unit, and we have the bowlers to do that. We have replaced Binura Fernando with Kasun Rajitha.
Name of 11 players of New Zealand: Finn Allen, Devon Conway(w), Kane Williamson(c), Glenn Phillips, Daryl Mitchell, James Neesham, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult.
Name of 11 players of Sri Lanka: Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Mendis(w), Dhananjaya de Silva, Charith Asalanka, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Dasun Shanaka(c), Wanindu Hasaranga, Chamika Karunaratne, Maheesh Theekshana, Lahiru Kumara, Kasun Rajitha.
New Zealand Innings:
New Zealand Team Batting Scorecard Data of T20 World Cup:
1. Finn Allen– 01(03)– SR (33.33)
2. Devon Conway(w)– 01(04)– SR (25.00)
3. Kane Williamson(c)– 08(13)– SR (61.54)
4. Glenn Phillips– 104(64)– SR (162.50)
5. Daryl Mitchell– 22(24)– SR (91.67)
6. James Neesham– 05(08)– SR (62.50)
7. Mitchell Santner– 11(05)–Not Out– SR (220.00)
8. Ish Sodhi– 01(01)– SR (100.00)
9. Tim Southee– 04(01)– Not Out– SR (400.00)
Extra Run: 10 (b 0, lb 2, w 5, nb 3, p 0)
Total Run: 167 (7 wickets, 20 Over)
Did not Bat: Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult.
The conversation I had (with Mitchell) was to play the right shots as long as possible. It wasn’t easy against the slower balls, but we reached a competitive total. My skills weren’t up to par against slower bowlers, but I could execute them when the pace was on against the pacers. They bowled well later on. When I cramped up a bit, the boys asked me not to take any further risks (limping away). Perhaps there were not enough salts in me. We got early wickets, and they swung the new ball (Boult and Southee), which held onto the surface. We were high on energy throughout the game, thanks to our bowlers and fielders.
Sri Lanka Team Bowler Scorecard Data of T20 World Cup:
|Dhananjaya de Silva||2||0||14||1|
Sri Lanka Innings:
Sri Lanka Team Batting Scorecard Data of T20 World Cup:
1. Pathum Nissanka– 00(05)– SR (33.33)
2. Kusal Mendis(w)– 04(03)– SR (133.33)
3. Dhananjaya de Silva– 00(03)– SR (0.00)
4. Charith Asalanka– 04(08)– SR (50.00)
5. Bhanuka Rajapaksa– 34(22)– SR (154.55)
6. Chamika Karunaratne– 03(08)– SR (37.50)
7. Dasun Shanaka(c)– 35(32)– SR (109.38)
8. Wanindu Hasaranga– 04(06)– SR (66.67)
9. Maheesh Theekshana– 01(03)– SR (400.00)
10. Kasun Rajitha– 08(21)– Not Out– SR (38.10)
11. Lahiru Kumara– 04(05)– SR (80.00)
Extra Run: 6 (b 0, lb 0, w 6, nb 0, p 0)
Total Run: 102 (10 wickets, 20 Over)
New Zealand Team Bowler Scorecard Data of T20 World Cup: